Stay up to date
Subscribe to the blog for the latest updates
10 Ways to Improve Diversity and Inclusion in Your Workforce
It’s one thing to make a commitment to DEI and another to act on it—often because bias is unconscious and deeply ingrained. Here are 10 ways to take effective action.
- Conduct a gap analysis, assessing how your diversity levels compare to national benchmarks and identifying key areas for improvement.
- Establish clear, measurable diversity targets for women and underrepresented minorities at every level—including the board and senior management. Then, start tracking your progress.
- Form diverse search committees. When committees are themselves diverse, it ensures a broader range of perspectives in the selection process.
- Create objective evaluation criteria for hiring and promotions. Operate transparently, so it’s clear that decisions are merit-based.
- Require diverse candidate slates for all hiring and promotion opportunities, which leads to a more equitable selection process.
- Use proven development strategies like mentoring and sponsorship to help women and minorities advance within your organization.
- Provide work-life balance support to working moms, offering benefits like childcare facilities or subsidies, flexible work schedules and paid parental leave.
- Provide unconscious bias training to those who evaluate candidates, fostering more objective decision-making.
- Make DEI part of your managers’ job description and link executive compensation to achieving specific DEI outcomes.
- Work on developing your brand reputation as an employer who is passionate about DEI. Over time, this will attract more diverse talent to you.
Finally, expand your recruiting efforts to reach more diverse candidates. Based on our experience, we can tell you that they’re out there!
At UrbanBound, we specialize in delivering exceptional relocation experiences for healthcare professionals. We can expertly relocate your incoming physicians, nurses, executive staff, and others—just as we already do for organizations like the Mayo Clinic and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
For more information and ideas, learn about our relocation solutions for healthcare organizations. It’s yet another way to take your DEI initiatives to the next level.